Thursday 15 October 2009

The nice mafia man

A while back I was cycling through Notting Hill Gate. I was following a very smart looking black car, possibly a Mercedes. We were going down a fairly narrow street and started crossing Portobello Road, where the market is. I thought there was a clear road ahead so was quite close to the car. I was just musing about how much the car looked like a Mafia one, when ... bonk! He stopped suddenly just as we'd crossed Portobello, I braked hard, but just eased into his bumper at the back with a small thud.  "Oh my God", I thought. This is it.  Sure enough, the door opened, and a man, looking not completely unlike Tony Soprano got out. I fully expected him to draw out a large revolver, shout at me and send me to an early biking grave.

However, instead he came round, didn't even look at his bumper, and asked me if I was alright. I was almost too shocked to say anything but managed a feeble "fine thanks ... " whereupon he got back in his car and drove off.

Funny how you build up a very clear picture of something which almost invariably turns out to be completely false. Or perhaps I have too vivid an imagination ...

Any mafia related stories out there? (I'm hoping for the "enjoyable read" kind rather than the "depressing violence" type please).

karma rating: *****

No comments: