Friday 19 February 2010

What's the point in a Pusha ... bike?


I was intrigued to see a small group of people in Victoria Park, East London, walking along next to a shiny new looking white bike. There was a woman on the bike, kind of riding it, but making very heavy weather of it. When I looked at the bike more closely (well, it didn't need to be that close, to be honest, as it was pretty obvious) I saw that the bike had no pedals. Just a sort of running board, like a scooter, or on the side of those wonderful old cars. This particular lady was having a lot of trouble making the bike go. I think the principle is that you sort of scoot using your feet on the ground, then glide along.

The big question is ... why? I wouldn't have thought you could pick up any speed, and wouldn't it be irritating to have to keep running along the ground? I'd be interested to know if anyone's tried one, or could throw some light on what advantage they could have over a "normal" bike. The company, Pusha, do have a website though I found it slightly imprenetrable and it froze after a few clicks.

2 comments:

Dougy T said...

I think someone has said "hey lets make a new gimmick like the micro-scooter and make it big". It may sound like a pretty cynical view, but I agree with you in that I don't really see the point. Their website claims that the pusha has several benefits "no greasy chain to repair", "you're in control of the speed", "strengthens back, thigh and calf muscles"....

Erm, yeah, ok then.

It looks awful and I really hope it doesn't catch on, sorry pusha.

KarmaCycle said...

I also find the name a bit ... well ... suspect! I can see what they're getting at, but it does sound like someone hanging around street corners with dodgy substances. We'll see how it fares anyway. Perhaps I'll see the lady in Victoria Park going at a rate of knots having a great time this weekend ...