Thursday 27 August 2009

Social cycling

As a cycling commuter, it's more often than not a question of getting your head down, going as fast as you reasonably can without endangering yourself, fellow road-users or wildlife. You rarely get much time for looking around and enjoying the scenery. I do often cycle through London zoo on the canal path, and will more often than not catch a glimpse of wart-hogs, flamingos and occasionally a pack of hunting dogs. But it's just a glimpse.

I'm now on holiday and was able to take a small trip with my wife on our bikes. What a difference when you're cycling with someone! We took it slow, had a good look around, even chatted as we biked - unheard of when you're commuting. It reminded me of what an amazing pleasure it is to amble about at 10 mph, drinking in London.

I'm sure there's a lesson there somewhere ...

Karma rating: **** (out of 5)

No comments: