Wednesday 23 June 2010

Clever trick of freezing your bike water bottle - but be careful!

I thought I would be extra clever as I knew it was going to be what we British call a "scorcher" here in London (29 degrees forecast) - so I put my water bottle in the freezer overnight. I cleverly didn't fill it up all the way, as any fool knows that water expands and didn't want my water bottle to explode.

I took it out before the school run, thinking by the time I started my "commute proper" it would be nice and melted.

A dry journey

I hadn't done my calculations properly. The ice remained stubbornly solid in the bottle throughout my commute of nearly an hour. As a result, instead of beautiful cool water, I got ... nothing. Until I limped through the office doors.



Clearly there's a moral. I think probably about two hours of freezing might be optimal. Or take it out of the freezer first thing. Or - radical thought - perhaps just put some ice cubes in it!  Any other "keeping cool" tips out there?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hee hee – when I saw the title of this post in my email, I presumed you’d made the classic error and had a burst water bottle. I should have had more faith – you’re WAY more clued up than that!!

KarmaCycle said...

Thanks Catherine - I thought that's what everyone would think. Yup, occasionally the odd grain of intelligence shows through. But only very occasional ...

Trevor said...

I tried freezing a water bottle after reading this - and snapped my bottle cage as a result. D'oh!

KarmaCycle said...

Oh no Trevor! Sorry about the advice - clearly flawed in lots of ways ... guess the bottle was so cold it froze the metal? I never knew this water bottle chat could be so destructive! Well, maybe gives you a chance to get a nice new cage. Do they make plastic freeze-proof ones?! KC