Monday 26 April 2010

My bike has now got just one gear ... it used to have 24

This one's really for Paul, but may have some interest for others wondering what to do with a knackered old bike ...
I've gone on before about the idea of converting a multi-gear bike into being a "fixie". My main reason was that I was getting a new bike and it didn't seem like it was worth the money to buy a complete set of gears, chains etc. So my oft-mentioned brother-in-law did a conversion job for me.
The result is very nice. A simple bike which feels like it isn't going to go wrong. Lighter too. You have to make a bit more effort but he's set it on a low enough ratio that I can get up most hills without difficulty. When you go downhill you feel like a bit of a prat as your legs spin round at an alarming rate - but hey, I'm used to looking like a prat. Anyway, I said I'd take some photos, so here they are, hopefully showing the important innards:








4 comments:

Paul said...

Many thanks - that's very helpful. The little vestigal rear derailleur looks intriguing, I'll have to look that one up. This bike looks a similar vintage to the one I'm still riding, which is slightly alarming - but good to see the finished effect.

Anonymous said...

It looks like this is a singlespeed (ie, you can still freewheel) and not a fixed wheel bike, given that you have a chain tensioner on there.

It is very dangerous and highly ill-advised to use a chain tensioner with a fixed wheel!

KarmaCycle said...

Ah ... what a buffoon I am! I've been confusing fixies with single speeds - sorry folks! Thanks Anon for pointing it out before I look an even greater fool!

KarmaCycle said...

And incidentally Paul - I'm really enjoying being back on this bike while I wait for the new one. I suspect that most hybrids are much of a muchness - the main thing is that they work, are reliable, and have good brakes!